Thursday 12 May 2016


Chapter Four - Cut and Fold Designs

Asymmetrical Designs

Sheet 2A


1. Square folded into quarters - folds skewed so they don't line up, simple cross shape.
2. Folds as above.  Design based on symmetrical 1D.


Sheet 2A Cont'd


After completing all my designs I read the module brief again and felt I needed to develop one design a bit more. I selected sheet 2A and added some positive/negative asymmetrical shapes.



Sheet 2B

 

3 & 4  Folds as for 2A. Designs based on cross shape on Sheet 2A but with centres cut away.


Sheet 2C


5.  Square - corners folded into the centre but all folds are irregular and a few overlap.
6.  Folds as for Sheet 2A.  Design based on No.2 on Sheet 2A.  I like the sense of tension that has been created in this design.

Sheet 2D

 

7. Folded as for 2A - design based on design No 19 on sheet 1H.
8.  Square folded as for 2A then each side folded back to form a rectangle.  Design based on No. 22 on symmetrical sheet 1I.

Sheet 2E

   

9.   Folds as for No 2A.  Design based on No. 4 on symmetrical sheet 1A.
10. Folds as for No. 2A.  Design very loosely based on curved shapes on symmetrical sheet 1B.  I love this one - it reminds me of flowing water and I think the design has a Japanese feel.


Sheet 2F


11 & 12.  Folds as for No. 2A - designs based on No. 25 and 26 on symmetrical sheet 1K.  Design 11 has the look of a butterfly.


Sheet 2G

         

No. 13  Folds as for No 2A then sides folded back to form a rectangle.  Design loosely based on shapes in No 16 symmetrical sheet 1F.
No. 14  Square folded to form triangles and then folded back again - all folds irregular.  Design based on No.14 on symmetrical sheet 1E.  This is another favourite with lots of movement and interest.


Sheet 2H

       

No.15 & 16  Experimental designs with completely random folds and cuts.


Sheet 2I

   

No. 17 & 18 - more random folds and cuts.  I like design No.18, particularly the shapes created by the negative space.


Sheet 2J


No. 19 & 20 - more random folds and cuts.  No. 20 reminds me of an African tribal mask and I like the way the X shaped cross appears to be floating in front of the rest of the design.





No comments:

Post a Comment