Sunday 20 May 2012

My ‘Crosses’ Research

Module One - Chapter One


Here are my research pages for ‘Crosses’.  I enjoyed looking for these images and ended up with so many I found it impossible to reduce them to just two A4 pages.



1.                                  
001

1.  I love some of the images on this collage, particularly the window frame around the broken window and the distorted reflections which produce asymmetrical, curvy crosses.  I also find the twisted vine branches really interesting – it’s as if they have been tied in a knot.  The rubbings were taken from a basket weave chair and a drain cover.



2.                                     
003

2.  This collage contains photographs of an encaustic tiled floor from a little church just outside Grasmere in the Lake District and a beautiful, contemporary stained glass window from a church in Nazareth.  The intricate metal design at top left is my neighbour’s front door mat – I think this would make a lovely quilting pattern.  The other images were found on the Internet.


3.                                    
004

3.  Another collage including more Internet images, another stained glass window from Nazareth, twisted roots against a wall, a metal structure – part of a bridge I think, a needlepoint cushion, a fractal and another rubbing from a drain cover.  Most of these images are symmetrical apart from the roots, bridge and the stained glass window.  I must admit, I found it much more difficult to find asymmetrical items.


 4.                           
 007

4.  This set of images contains a photograph I took at a quilt show years ago, another fractal which I think looks like an exotic sea creature, some traditional tile patterns and a tattoo design.  I have also included some very interesting folded paper crosses which I found on the Internet.  I love their three-dimensional quality and would like to explore this further at some point in the course.


Tomorrow I will post my line drawings and my colour wheel………………………………….too tired tonight!

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on setting up such a lovely blog Anne.Your research pages show fascinating images - no wonder you coudn't edit them any further. Sian

    ReplyDelete