Friday 18 March 2016

Module 1 - Chapter 3 - Design Development

The cross shape I have used for these designs comes from page 4 of my crosses research and from my line drawing on page 1.  I like the fact that although the shape is essentially a cross, it resembles a star because of the diagonal points, so I feel I have the best of both worlds.


Design Sheet A1



1.  Counterchange.
2.  Four shapes in alternate colours placed edge to edge to create Interchange.  A new star shape is created in the centre where the shapes meet.  However, I feel the star is too regular to develop further.
3.  Lines of symmetry shown.
4.  Shape distorted by altering the grid.  Shape formed is more rectangular and is symmetrical in only one direction (line of symmetry shown).  I feel this elongated star is a more interesting shape than the original and may be worth exploring further at some point.
5.  Counterchange - rectangular star shape.


Design Sheet A2



1.  Shape is further distorted by altering the grid in both directions to create a completely asymmetrical shape.  
2.  Four shapes are placed on the diagonal.  In this position the shapes look like butterflies and a small diamond shape is formed in the centre.
3.  Two shapes placed back to back with long points facing inwards, which creates a double pointed star in the centre.  I really like this shape and feel it may have some potential for developing further. I intend to make a template of this shape and explore its possibilities.


Design Sheet A3




1. I returned to the rectangular star shape and placed four together (Interchange) to see what shape would be formed in the centre.  I like the fact that the new shape has lost something of the 'cross/star look' and is a definite diamond shape - may well be worth a second look.
2.  I then arranged four more shapes with the smaller points facing inwards and an X shaped cross emerged.  I love this method of designing as there are so many surprises in the negative space.  



Design Sheet A4





1.  (Counterchange)  I had lots of cut outs left over from the original shape so I went back to playing with it and decided to change the orientation of the shape by moving it a quarter turn.  It now looks completely different to the original and has a more square, compact look, which I think I prefer.
2.  Four shapes together in contrasting colours (Interchange).  This is a much less open design than the original, therefore the centre shape is smaller - a very defined cross shape but as each part is completely separate it couldn't be cut out as one shape unless adapted in some way.
3.  Four shapes arranged as above but moved apart slightly and edges drawn in to complete the cross shape.  Again, I really like this shape but maybe it is a little too complex with the double points and could end up looking too 'spiky' or busy.  However, I think the double points give the shape some movement and that this could possibly be exploited through clever use of colour.  I will probably come back to this at some stage and experiment with different colour/tonal combinations and see if there is any mileage in this idea.


Design Sheet A5






For each of the 'shapes within a shape' I have shown how the shape looks when placed within a frame and I really like the effect this creates as it adds another dimension that can be explored. It also shows how the original shape sits within its new background shape and whether any distortion occurs.

1.  Original shape in a diamond (square on point).  The original shape doesn't distort.
2.  Original shape in a circle - the only distortion is that the points become curved on the outside edge.
3.  Original shape moved a quarter turn as shown in Design Sheet A4 - shape doesn't distort.
4.  Original shape in an equilateral triangle.  The shape has distorted a lot from the original but I think it looks like a plane or a rocket and I'm not sure I like it.  It does work better when enclosed within a frame but I don't think I will take this any further.
5.  'Plane' shapes arranged with long points meeting in the centre.  This create a hexagon (six equilateral triangles) but again I don't like it - looks too spiky!


Design Sheet A6





1.  Original shape in a long diamond.  Shape is stretched lengthwise and creates a more interesting cross shape than the original.
2.  Stretched shape in a frame.
3.  Stretched shape in a frame - halved across the middle and the two halves re-arranged.  I like this shape because of the irregular interior.
4.  Four stretched shapes in frames joined together to form a larger diamond.  I really like this design - reminds me of trellis.
5.  Another four stretched shapes joined together to form another large diamond.  This arrangement is more open than the other one because there are no frames to contain the shapes.  I also like this design but still prefer the large diamond with the frames.
6.  Shape formed by removing the long points from the diamond - may have possibilities?









1 comment: