Wednesday 30 March 2016

Module 1 - Chapter 3 - Design development Based on the Star or Cross

I decided to change the shape I was working with and chose a more linear cross shape to ring the changes from my previous star/cross, which contained lots of sharp points and always seemed to create very spiky designs.  The new cross shape is an amalgam of several crosses from my research pages and the benefit of this new shape is it can be used in a square format or turned round to create diagonal patterns.
  

Design Sheet B1



1.  Small unit inside the negative space formed by an arrangement of four larger units.
2.  Pattern using large and small units - I made another simplified smaller unit by removing some of the 'steps' in the original shape.  I kept the small version of the original shape in the centre of this design and used the simplified shapes in the corners.
3.  Border and corner design - large unit plus an outline of the simplified shape.
4.  Alternative border and corner design - overlaid simplified unit on top of original shape then alternated with outline shape.  I also used small square off-cuts as spacers to add another element to the design.


Design Sheet B2



1. Two designs showing shapes interlinked - outline of square added.
2.  Border pattern using the original shape and outline of same shape - creates a chain effect.
3.  New shapes from old - I really enjoyed creating this design as I like the 'patchwork quilt block' effect that has emerged.  I had some odd spaces so added the reduced original shape and simplified shape to fill in the gaps.


Design Sheet C1



1.  Complex counterchange.  New motif  highlighted in red.
2.  Alternative complex counterchange design.
3  Divide and separate - I like the linear effect that the spaces create.
4. Border pattern using two new motifs interlinked to create a new unit with top row turned upside down.  Although I like the the new unit, when repeated it creates a design with too much open space.  
5.  Border pattern created with new motifs overlapped. Design could be further developed by turning the motifs back to back and continuing the border in the opposite direction.
6.  Two of the new units arranged to form a new cross shape. I really like this.
7.  Another interlinked pattern using two shades of green. This is quite a subtle design but I like the sense of movement and the pinwheel shape that appears in the centre of the repeats.


Design Sheet C2



Repeat patterns using new motif.  I like both patterns but prefer the one on the left and feel it could translate into an attractive applique design.  The right hand design has produced small squares that appear to float on the surface, an effect which was completely unexpected.



Templates Used in this Chapter






 Extras

I had cut some paper shapes that I chose not to use within the chapter.  However, I didn't want to throw them away so I have arranged them here in a repeating pattern to use them up.  The shape was my original star/cross with the short points removed.

Closing Thoughts

I feel I made heavy weather of this chapter and probably spent too much time on it.  However, once I got my head round the 'shape within a shape' section, I really began to enjoy myself and felt I was making progress as ideas began to flow.  I could have developed some designs further but with this method of designing you can go on forever and sometimes it's difficult to know when to stop.  I am now looking forward to chapter four and the new challenge I am sure it will bring!





1 comment:

  1. You have some interesting shapes and lovely colour combinations. I don't think the time you've spent is wasted as you will always have that resource. In Module 3 you will have a chance to re-visit some techniques from earlier modules, so some ideas you don't follow up for this module will maybe be a jumping off point some time in the future. Chapter 4 is fun and this module just gets better and better. I loved making the decorative bonded fabric in Chapter 6 - I couldn't stop with the Bondaweb! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete